Thursday, September 1, 2016

Kitchen Day 8

Handmade Pastas

Today we got all kinds of Italian and made and rolled our own pasta...





Super fun! This is such an awesome art! We watched a short video on the rolling of pasta by the local women in a small village in Italy. Not a bad way to live!




Polenta

Also on today's menu was Polenta. Very similar to pasta, yet it instead uses corn flour instead of wheat flour. This will definitely be on my winter menu, a nice creamy polenta will warm me right up!
We made two different kinds, creamy polenta which is similar to a soup; and grilled polenta, almost like a kind of hash brown or potato pancake.

My team was tasked with making the grilled version:


Nothing wrong with a little flair!

I made our pesto sauce (green sauce on right). It took a bit to get it just right, adding a squeeze of lemon juice was the final touch. We ran out of basil right as we needed more so we definitely had to improvise at the last minute!


Chef trying our dishes...


Overall it was a good day. As a class we are still trying to get down to time management. I definitely underestimated the cooking time for the pasta, I only had one pot of water going and we needed three. So I had to cook all 3 types of pasta one at a time, didn't have enough time to do that so I cooked a them all at once; it didn't quite work. Fortunately for me though that was a very common problem, Chef told us that to perfect craft pasta it takes years. I really want to go learn from the great Massimo Botura!!!

We are all getting along well I think, next week we get to start cooking meats so I really can't wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment