Thursday, September 15, 2016

Kitchen Day 15

Oh the tenderness...


Chef showed us how to de-bone a chicken and keep it whole

Today, it was a good day.


We were able to cook with the tender bits today. Beef tenderloin, filet mignon, steak of filet... Soooo juicy!!! I've never seen a whole loin so it was also really interesting to se how it comes, and then how to fabricate it. Each day we learn more and more, eventually I feel like my brain isn't going to hold anymore!

So the left side (thicker part) is called the "head" of the loin. It does rather look like a whole fish so I can see why they named it this.. 




The whole loin is fairly large to begin with. Chef told us it would cost around $100 to get it, not bad considering that once it's cut down the collective cost of each piece would be quite over that amount. These are some of the best cuts of meat and it was so fun to get to make them ourselves!


At the same time, a privileged few of us (Claire, Mahsa, and Cindy) got to try their hands at fabricating the chicken just as Chef did (photo at top). I would have definitely loved to get that experience but there are far too many of us and only so little time. They did a great job!




My real role in the day was to make Pommes de Terre Dauphine, a kind of airy potato bite. I will also gladly exclaim, I cooked the potatoes correctly!!!!! Those puppies went right through the ricer with no effort! Super happy about that, unhappy that I didn't get a chance to cook and eat them. One of our fryers was down the whole day so all the groups (like 6 or 8) had to fight over using one fryer. It definitely slowed us down a bit, so I didn't get to use it :'( I put in so much work on them, it's not really easy rolling potato "dough" off two spoons! Oh well...



I was even able to sneak into Kitchen 2 and take photos of their food!

Keenan putting the final touches on our dish, it looks tasty! 
 Rigo touches up his Chef's Plate



Perfectly cooked!!! Red and without blood. Full marks! :-D

 This was a very fun day! We still need to work on executing everything on time, we are definitely getting better but we were still late for service by about 10-15 minutes. Right now that is alright but very soon it will be absolutely against all our laws. Can't wait for the next day!



No comments:

Post a Comment