Sunday, September 18, 2016

Kitchen Day 16

Beef Bourguignonne

So today (September 13th, I will start dating these if I'm late...), we really only made one main dish, Beef Bourguignonne. I almost, almost ruined ours... Part of the recipe is to make a brown roux, ours was a bit burnt, to thicken the sauce. I added WAY too much too fast. I am realizing now that I never take photos when I'm in the zone, either good or bad, so I don't have any when I mess things up.

We marinated the beef overnight in more red wine, each day we use it I totally want a glass, isn't that a thing? Anyways, normally this recipe called for discarding the wonderful veggies but Jakob and I convinced Chef to save them for the Veal Stock we needed on Wednesday! So awesome to use one dish to make another!
I saved it! This is not quite what it could have been but it was still really close! Again we were the only team to correctly roast our dish!

After making a good concrete, ugh, I added more wine and a LOT of stock. Eventually this turned back into a correct dish. I also think that adding more wine at the end gave it a better flavor anyways, in this traditional dish you want a bit of the wine coming through. 

Chicken Galantine

Chef Marcus showed us how to make a Chicken Galantine, a full-deboned chicken. This is a perfect way to season and cook a chicken whole while maintaining nice juicy meat. Again he did the whole thing in like 3 minutes, the ladies who got to do it took a bit longer! It is really cool to watch him do these things, I don't know how he can remember all of this!





The end result doesn't even look like a chicken anymore!

Masha tries her hand at making the Galantine.

Mealtime!





 The Galantine (above) was sooooo good! Nice and juicy, super tender, full of flavor!


No comments:

Post a Comment