Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Kitchen Day 17

All the weird bits...



Today (September 14th.) we made the strange stuff... Liver and Sweatbreads. I will let you look up that last one! :-P I'm not a fan of liver, I never have been, my father hated it growing up (remember Grandma is from Denmark, they love that stuff!) so he never really made us eat it; seriously thank you Dad!

Chef Marcus explains how to prepare a full liver, Martin looks very intrigued! (or maybe he might hurl!) 


Sweatbreads, they aren't exactly your first thought!... 

I first heard of sweetbreads from the amazing film, Chef (Jon Favreau 2014). I have never had them before today, the most similar thing I had to them was the infamous Rocky Mountain Oyster; not quite the same thing but it tasted very similar.

Honestly I liked them. I had no ideas going into it what it would be like so I was pleasantly surprised. Very tender, light, really take up the flavor of the dish you make. I will most likely work with them in the future, from what I can see they are an underused piece of meat.


The liver on the other hand....
This dish is too much for me. I'm not quite sure what I don't like, if it's just liver itself or if it might be that and other similar parts that are very dense, with a lot of iron in them. Maybe it will become an acquired taste, for now it's not for me.

I did enjoy cooking it however. My team made a seared and braised liver with caramelized onions and apples. I made the garnish for the dish, I LOVE caramelized onions. I'm not going to lie, super off topic, but my French Onion Soup is "theBOMB.com".


Beyond the proteins, we made a few side dishes and Chef's famous Spatzle. To serve the sweetbreads, Chef made us a puff pastry (Jakob made his in these and was awarded the perfect dish of the day!).


 It looks amazing! I din't get to try it though :'( it was gone when I got my plate...




Chef Marcus loves making Spatzle! He says it's one of the best ways to get out any pent up energy. I believe him, he really beat the dough!


I really enjoyed cooking more than anything today. It was a fun day! I will look forward to using sweetbreads in the future, I never would have known what to do with them!

4 comments:

  1. Danish liver pate is pretty good stuff when spread on some delicious dark bread. Not a big fan of liver on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef Marcus made a really good pate before we even tried cooking with it. I am finding that his cuisine and Grandma's are almost exactly the same! Super cool!

      Delete
  2. In choosing the right exhaust fan for your kitchen, determine first the structure and size of your kitchen. Then purchase an exhaust fan that is large enough to ventilate the kitchen and to avoid overheating. Best Window Fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kitchen essentials are made of different materials like aluminum, copper, stainless steel, carbon steel, ceramics, glass and a lot more. There are various types of professional cookware available in the market today, which offers a lot of functionality for the cooking professionals. Kitchen Cookware Reviews

    ReplyDelete