Thursday, August 25, 2016

Kitchen Day 4

Oh the days we made Hollandaise...

I take back what I said earlier about mayo. That is a breeze to make. Hollandaise on the other hand... The principal is fairly easy to understand, whip an egg yolk with an acid over low heat, add melted clarified butter while vigorously whipping, yet ensure you don't make scrambled eggs. Straight forward right?


           

(From left to right) Chef Marcus whipping the yolks, carefully whipping in the butter over the boiler, then finally ensuring the correct consistency. Makes it look so easy, he normally doesn't even use a double boiler!

HAHAHAHA!

Jacob and I had it. We HAD IT!!! It was so fluffy and tasted amazing. We decided to add some seasoning, salt & pepper...

Then we lost it. I will admit, I'm 90% sure I messed it up. In a temporary lapse of brain power, something Chef Marcus calls "ze Brain Fart" (he has an awesome German accent) I put the finished sauce back on the double boiler and it died. Turned right back into butter basically. So depressing, happened right as Chef was walking over to see how we did. Oh well, next time!

Right before it went wrong

PS I didn't take a photo of the ruined sauce, I was too sad, next time I will take a photo just so I can look back on the progress over the course of the class.

We also worked on making Bechamel and Veloute sauces but I just didn't take any photos. I got way sidetracked today with other things I had going on in the kitchen, paired with Jacob being in the dish the moment I needed him (I totally forgot he was in there), to a surprise visit by an Executive Chef from Ritz Carlton. Tomorrow we make more sauces, the wonderful Sauce Espagnole and the ever useful Sauce Tomate so I will make sure I capture that action for you!


NOTE: I'm having formatting issues with the photos in this post. On my edit page it looks great, then on the posting side it is messing it up. I will try this weekend to figure out what is going on and fix that. This is only the 4th day after all... :P







No comments:

Post a Comment