Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Kitchen Day 3

Mayo... holy crap it's hard to make!!!

I never knew exactly what it took to make this great thing that I love. Mayonnaise is awesome, and it is one of the weirdest things to make. As you add more oil it becomes more firm, totally the opposite of what it sounds like.


Chef Marcus Lepke making it look way too easy

We just made very simple mayo, with vinegar and canola oil. It really tasted great with the minimal flavors of those individual ingredients, I can't wait to make some crazy garlic aioli soon. By far the best thing we did today was make stocks. Kind of a cool thing that the vegetables we used to learn the knife skills the last 2 days were our mise en place for the stock! This definitely has me thinking of ways to ensure almost no waste for a future restaurant.


I will tell you now, that kitchen smelled incredible after a few hours.


Even though it's work you have to have fun!


Don't burn it! Perfectly caramelized mirepoix. 



After 3 days I'm still super excited. I know that I will eventually get way too tired to function this week, that Saturday is already lost to that wonderful land of nothingness beyond consciousness, and there is a growing part of me that can't wait to get there. But until then I will be quite happy to live on that knife edge and I will keep you posted in all that we do! (I will also hopefully not be stuck to midnight posting)

Even Ashton is happy doing the dishes. This a great team to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment