Monday, August 29, 2016

Door 222

One of the most important things that Chef Marcus Lepke is trying to teach us in culinary school is taste. A great Chef can taste a dish, figure out what it is and what it needs, and then make that dish exceptional. The best way to do this is to get out and try different foods. So it is now that time where I become a snobby food blogger :D (not really snobby I hope!).


Door 222
Loveland, CO
www.door222.com

The Grapefruit cocktail was very good. Not too overpowering in the citrus, very refreshing on a hot day on the patio.

This is a great place in downtown Loveland, CO. Honestly I'm not sure why we have never been here before. It has a nice and cozy atmosphere, we sat out on the patio to enjoy the weather, they even have a kind of screen on the patio to make it more private from passersby. Apparently the name is new (they used to be called Next Door) but have been here for 4 years. I really can't understand why we haven't been in before.

We came in for the tapas,we had looked it up online and found that they were the most raved in the reviews. 

Bruschetta
The bruschetta was incredible!!! Made with goat cheese, bacon, and a palisade peach, I really want one right now. The only thing I would change on the dish is to add more. So much more. If this is the most ordered appetizer on the menu I would not be surprised, the taste on top of the creaminess of the peach and the cheese on a crunchy baguette was sublime.


Bacon Wrapped Dates
Bacon wrapped dates. 3 words that should tell you everything you need to know... They were fantastic. Anyone in my family can attest to our love of dates. These wonderful little desert fruits are so sugary and really can't go bad in anything. As soon as you wrap them in bacon and add an almond as the "pit" you make an incredible excuse eat some fruit; albeit this fruit is possibly the farthest fruit from healthy!


Short Rib Mac n Cheese
This is by far one of the best Mac n Cheeses out there. I don't really see why they even bother to classify it as an appetizer, it's so HUGE! By the time we finished this we almost called it quits. The smokiness from the ribs and bacon along with the creaminess of the cheese was heaven in my mouth! I really want to go back and ask the Chef for the recipe because I need it NOW!!! The crunchiness of the potatoes added a great texture!


Chef's Special: Braised Short Ribs
Our wonderful waitress (I will go back and get her name so she gets some credit) managed to convince us to get an entree. The short ribs in the Mac had us lean towards trying them full on in a feature. I hate to admit though that they were out-shined in this dish. The mashed potatoes were a perfect blend of buttery-deliciousness, asparagus were very well seasoned and tender, but the ribs were missing something. Alone they were perfectly cooked, fell right apart with a fork (no knife needed), but didn't have any deep flavor. However, when taken with a bite of the seared tomato they became an incredibly flavored piece of meat. If I could have gotten a few more tomatoes this would easily be an incredible dish, it is still very good as it was served but I would probably try something new upon my next visit.


 Dessert: Honey Drop Martini & Donuts!!!
The homemade donuts.........
No words........
Well some words,
Delightful
Sugary
Goodness

What a cool concept! Fresh from scratch donuts served with sugar in a bag. You shake the bag (is it clear?) and then tear into it. Donut holes for me, if that's what you might call these, are an interesting topic. They HAVE to be an imitation of the Danish Aebleskiver, a tasty treat I grew up with. This twist on it though is as close as I've ever seen to the real thing, we grew up eating them with a berry jam (raspberry white wine reduction here) and sugar. This was a wonderful end to the meal since it kindled those great memories. That alone is why I came back to food so it's a good kind of message for me!

The Honey Drop martini was also very good. I enjoyed it more than the Grapefruit one, it had more flavor even though it was quite a bit more sugary!


Overall this was a wonderful night on the town. Great atmosphere, refreshing drinks, very friendly and attentive service, delicious food, and a crazy throw back to my childhood to top it off. I will definitely be dining here again! Really I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment