Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Regional Cuisine Final

Farm to Table Practical: Regional Cuisines

So tasty. I want some now... :'(

At the end of every block we have a practical, to prove to the chef that we paid attention to at least some of what they were going on about :D With each practical we are faced with a bit of a mystery, what will be the ingredients? Usually we have an idea of the protein, (in this case pork tenderloin) and have always been able to use celery, carrots, onions.

However the rest of the dish is a mystery. For this round we were given beets and acorn squash, two items I was on the fence about using (I usually just make the acorn squash as a butter, sugar syrup in the middle and bake it, not something I could do here).



For each practical we are to prepare an appetizer, and an entree. The last time I made a soup to go with my fish, a puree of celeriac and carrots. It wasn't quite cooked all the way and I started my mise en place to try it again (you can see the celeriac on the right side of my tray).


To accompany the main protein for the entree we need a starch and a sauce. I planned to make a rice and lentil pilaf. Above you can see my small diced carrot for the pilaf.

Celeste prepares her veggies for her dish.

Dylan (foreground), Mashke (left-side), Paige & Megan (center), and Keenan (behind Dylan) all at work!

As this is a timed practical I usually become horrible at taking photos; sometimes just on a normal day I completely forget and these days have a bit more stress to them. (Once I get the Top Secret Food Company up and running I think I will employ a photographer for these days to ensure each student gets some recognition.) 

I got to use my fancy new peeler on my carrots, it is fantastic!!!

I decided to make a salad for my appetizer. It might sound too easy, this is Chef Carlos Ruiz who is grading this! It has to have perfect seasoning on both the greens and in the dressing, no easy task!!!

Mitch shows off his dish. Lookin Gangsta as usual man!!!

This guy always performs well and lets me taste his creations, look at that pork! B. E. A-uitiful!

So I finally get everything planned out, prepped and cooking. I came up with my salad with a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing, planned my lentil and rice pilaf, and decided on making a curried pork tenderloin with caramelized beets and acorn squash. The week before this we had "been" in India and Thailand, two places that love curry, something I can absolutely get on board with. Curry is the bomb.

I'm just about to plate my dish, but as I'm getting my plates out of the warming oven, Chef tells me I have 35 minutes to service... Um?!?!?

WUUUT!!!

The last 3 practicals we had 1 hour-30 minutes to complete our meal. Today, unbeknownst to me, we had 2 hours.....

Slight panic time...

Okay, okay. So now I had to figure out how to hold my food properly for 30 minutes. My pork was perfect, just at the beginning of medium-heat, and my rice was just about out of broth in the pot. So I add a bit more broth, turn it down on low. As for the pork, I put a lid on the pan and moved it off center of the flame while it was also on low. 

On the plus side I now had 30 minutes to clean my station and make sure my seasonings were spot on.

30 minutes later...

Finally I get to serve and eat this! It looks incredible!

My veggies on the left and the rice pilaf on the right. I used a pastry cake pan to make a cool shape for the rice, it sort-of held..

The pork was still very juicy and not overcooked at all. REMEMBER: let any meats rest BEFORE cutting into them!


Chef and I prepare to dig in! My salad is in the ceramic ramekin. 

Overall it was a great dish! My lentils didn't cook all the way and because I had to hold it the rice was slightly overcooked. Not bad for having to figure out how to wait! Chef absolutely loved the curry, it wasn't too spicy and was full of flavor, I can't wait to make it again! 


No recipe for you! This was mostly as I went so it wasn't written out, I will however make it again and when I do not only will there be more photos but I will attach a recipe as well :D




EDIT: this took place December 19th, just before our Winter Break

No comments:

Post a Comment